Friday, January 19, 2018

Good Memory - A double edged sword

Since a kid I was complimented to have the best memory in class. It was just the right skill a high school student needed in an Asian school environment where good grades were heavily dependent on memory. I wasn't smart enough and I knew all along that I couldn't thrive in a difficult or tricky environment if I couldn't in that situation count on my memory. When I came to University and then eventually to the work world, I saw how my good memory was not paying me much dividends.

At age 29, I have understood the true negative of my good memory. I have carried the baggage of my nasty/bad relationships (especially those were people had intentionally wronged me) and I am constantly allowing it to add cumulatively to a pre-existing and pretty full compartment in my mind. A family member once responded with harshness at the way a news was delivered to him rather than a smile on his face and love in his heart at the sweetness of the content of the news. Today as this same individual is celebrating a big day, I feel restless, not because of his actions but because of my own good memory problem. Fact is that I probably meant peanuts to this individual, but I have allowed something in my own power to not be able to feel happy in a joyous moment,

Good memory can certainly allow less pragmatic people to stagnant their growth and achievements some times. If only memories were selective for me, and I can chose which ones to keep and which ones to move past.

No comments:

Post a Comment